Sunday 21 June is Father’s Day in the UK. This came into being around 50 years ago. Cynics would say it’s simply another Americanism designed to bolster the sale of cards and gifts. But it is a good opportunity for us to think about fathers in the way we do our mums on Mothering Sunday – fathers do feature prominently in family life!
Someone wrote these humorous words entitled: “The World According to Dad.” Words which are uttered by most fathers at some time or another – known as ‘dadism’s!’ Let’s see how familiar these might be:
- When I was your age I walked 5 miles to and from school each day and it was uphill both ways and I never complained.
- Quiet. I’m watching the game.
- Bring back ALL the change.
- Money doesn’t grow on trees you know.
- Who’s paying the bills around here, anyway?
- No need for the handyman – I can fix it.
- They don’t make things like they used to.
- You are going AND you will have fun!
- If you break your leg don’t come running to me.
- How should I know? Ask your mother.
- I wasn’t asleep. I was just resting my eyes.
- Why? Because I said so!
- You better get that mess cleaned up before your mother comes in.
A Special Prayer for Father’s Day
Heavenly Father, we thank you for our fathers. We remember today their loving care and their ceaseless love. May we show them by our gifts, our words and our actions that we love them and care about them too.
Heavenly Father, we thank you for those who are fathers within our church family. May they know your strength and blessing as they care for others.
In the precious name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
This will be the fourteenth Sunday Emmanuel has been closed since lockdown! However, we still have the opportunity to worship together as a church family as we go ‘live’ at 10.30 am.
This is Father’s Day and so it will be an All Age Service as we welcome our Messy Church families. Stephen Greenfield will be speaking (this is one not to be missed!)
You can also download a service sheet below so you can follow what’s being said and sing-a-long!
Virtual Fathers Day Sunday 21 June 2020
Virtual Fathers Day Sunday 21 June 2020 – Visually Impaired
ALL OF OUR SERVICES Will be released simultaneously on the Emmanuel YouTube and Facebook pages. Facebook is especially good for those of you who like to engage with each other and make comments during the service. It’s not a competition between YT or FB simply a case of ‘both and’ and trying to meet the preferred needs of everyone!